Wednesday 6 February 2008

On Track

Did you know that it was Evangeline Booth who coined the phrase "fell off the wagon"? Clearly indicating the state of those, who were on the wagon and safe from their addiction to alcohol and then lapsed, it's a vivid description of reality for some.

Are you familiar with the phrase "off the rails"? It means the same thing, but in a more generic manner. This would be a person who left the track of the right direction for much worse. It's particularly revealing in that, what good is a train that has left its rails?

Jesus is the way. Any other way is off track and pointless. Furthermore, any other track or trail or road than that of God's love through Jesus leads to hell. God help us to help others know the way, the truth and the life.

Matthew 11:28 (NIV)
28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.

4 comments:

Berryinteresting said...

Thanks for the reminder about Evangeline (my hero) -- Guess you're both back on tract now -- telling the Aussies about Jesus -- and we'll still do our part here in Jersey -- Jersey for Jesus!

Marta Ager said...

You reminded me of a beautiful old book I have called 'Songs of the Evangel' by General Evangeline Booth. No date given but presented to a Major M Griffiths in May 31st 1944. Page 65 shows a photo of Evangeline - she was beautiful. It tells of her song 'Turn Back!' - along with this story which took place at the end of a meeting... Although well dressed, good looking, a gentleman in bearing, he made the impression upon me that he had reached the lowest stratum of human wickedness...he told me some of the distance he had travelled from righteousness, from honour, and from truth...Then I said, "Well, you know you can always turn back; there is no part of the dark road a sinner is travelling but that if he will stop ans seek Christ, Christ will forgive."..I repeated, "Do stop, do turn; start now, just where you are. "...As I told him, so it was!

Jim Knaggs said...

Thank you, both.

Anonymous said...

Evangeline is my hero. Didn't she wear red shoes with her uniform? What a cool example to follow :)

Robyn C