Wednesday 19 September 2007

New Candidates

I learned today of two new candidates for officership. They hope to enter the Training College in the next session. God has spoken to their hearts and they are committed to following Him. Hallelujah!

We are also seeing God move amongst Lieutenants. I've learned of more today who are seeing God's way through to officership. This is a blessing.

Candidates" Board met today to consider the suitability of a good candidate for officership.

Add all of this to the new soldiers that have been enroled lately and you'll begin to witness the work of God. Thank you, Lord for these encouraging people who also witness to our hearts.

Psalms 64:9 (AMP)
9 And all men shall [reverently] fear and be in awe; and they will declare the work of God, for they will wisely consider and acknowledge that it is His doing.

9 comments:

jeff said...

what makes one suitable for officership? Really. I want to know. You can email me the answer if you'd rather. jfstrain@yahoo.com

thanks Jim

Allison Ward said...

I know of quite a few young adults over here who have accepted the call to officership. All are going to college first but then to the training school :)
It's exciting isn't it. I can't believe that I'm growing up and making important decisions. CRAZY!
Hope you are both doing well!

Jim Knaggs said...

J - I'll get to you on this.

A- You are believable.

Anonymous said...

and there could be more - never know, just asking God each day to show me - I'm open to His leading, but need to know what it is. Don't really want to put my name, just because I'm still learning what my "call" is, but I know you and Commiss. Carolyn are there when I'm ready to chat.

V

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought!!!we know its the right decision...thanks for your friendship, support and encouragement...we don't take it for granted....our territory is blessed to have you and Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I too am excited that God is calling people to officership within The Salvation Army. I do have concerns however that people who do not demonstrate leadership potential within their Corps setting are accepted for officership potentially creating future problems for Corps and the organisation alike.

Jim Knaggs said...

Anon - I hear the authenticity in your concerns. Do you know that every candidate requires many local and divisional backings to become accepted? These backings speak to a different evaluation of the candidate than you have suggested.

Leadership can be learned. The training process and officership itself is loaded with leader development.

Anonymous said...

Jim,

I take your point however remain concerned that within the current climate of shortage of officer supply, the temptation and perhaps practice is to lower the bar and accept candidates that otherwise would be encouraged to seek other missional direction or to reapply at a later date subject to demonstrated growth in identified areas.

Jim Knaggs said...

I have sat on Candidates' Boards for 23 years. It's a human process to support a divine responsibility.