Saturday 30 June 2007

Right Fit

You know the expression, "It fits like a glove." I've put on a few gloves that didn't fit so well...and while I'm on the subject, what about the glove box in your car? Have you ever put your gloves in there? I did...once...just to say it was finally a glove box. Now keep me straight, a boot is a trunk and a bonnet is a hood. Do we also have another name for the glove box?

Getting back to the right fit, we spend a good part of our lives trying to fit in. Perhaps we find ourselves in a new environment or with a new group of people, we most often do our best to fit. When we come to the conclusion that we aren't the right fit, we often move on.

As believers, we do not fit in this world. God's kingdom is far different than this world and that's where we belong. I suggest we relax on trying to fit in this world and expend our energies shaping up for the Kingdom of God.

1 Thessalonians 5:8 (NIV)
8 But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.

4 comments:

Andrew Bale said...

Thanks for the encouragement... I've never fitted in anywhere!

I love JBP's paraphrase of Romans 12 'Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.'

Hallelujah!

A

Anonymous said...

I agree I love the way the officership has allowed me to be the unique individual I am. I have been blessed with people around me for the 13 years I have been an officer that have encouraged me to be me, and not something that I am not. being real like this has had a great impact on the youth I lead and minister to, a lot of them comment to me on it.
So at present i feel that I
am a round peg in a round whole at present.
and i love that. It makes for more effective ministry.
Hmm I hope all that made sense.

gotgumonmyshoe

Greg Turnbull said...

In the late 80's Hauerwas and Willimon wrote a book about Church growth entitled "Resident Aliens". To me that's a very good title for us as Christians as we are a colony, a holy people, a chosen nation, a family standing for Christian values in a devalued world. Thanks for the reminder of our staus T.C. and to all the other aliens out there live long and pray.

Rob said...

I enjoy reading your posts. Did you know that Dodge has a new vehicle it is called Caliber and the glove box is now a cooler that can store 4 bottles of water!