Sunday 21 October 2007

Reading is Essential

We need to find time to read on our journey. Starting with the Word of God, there are any number of good books out there by which God will inspire, instruct and enable you. I've recently finished Roger Green's book on the life and ministry of William Booth. It's better than a history book. He gets to the core of the movement by giving insights about the founder.

Last week I read Cory Harrison's restatement of Catherine Booth's Agressive Christiantity. He does very well with this and brings her writings to a fresh understanding...no less compelling, convicting or challenging.

I picked up General Larsson's autobiography today for this week. So far, he's a blessing.

So what are you reading? What do you recommend as the three top books you've read after the Bible?

Ephesians 3:4 (MSG)
4 As you read over what I have written to you, you'll be able to see for yourselves into the mystery of Christ.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can never quite find enough time to keep up with the reading that I would like - often seem to be trying to read 3 or 4 books at a time. My top 3 are "The Heart of Christianity" by Marcus Borg, "The Shaping of Things to Come" by Alan Hirsch and Mike Frost and "Jesus, the Crucified People" by C S Song. I am currently reading Song's new book "Tracing the Footsteps of God" which also seems very good.

Unknown said...

I'm currently reading Danna Fewell's 'The Children of Israel--reading the Bible for the sake of our children.' It looks at the way children are treated (or mistreated) in the Bible and how kids today might reread it.

If you're looking for nice and cuddly, though, this might not be the place to look!

Stephen Court said...

top three of late:
Slavery Now and Then - Danny Smith
PunkMonk - Pete Greig and Andy Freeman
Can You Hear Me? - Brad Jersak

also, a great new read from Rob Bell - SexGod
enjoy
Danielle

Unknown said...

Books that have changed me and I keep going back to:

I'll Fight, Holiness at War (Wall)
Heart Talks on Holiness (Brengle)
Power Evangelism (Wimber)

Jim Knaggs said...

These are some interesting choices. I'll go for a few. You?

Anonymous said...

The three books which have impacted my life in recent times have been "Turning Hurts into Halos and Scars into Stars" Roberts H. Schuller
"Prayer does it make a difference" Phillip Yancy
"Dare to Fly" Janine Shepherd
These 3 books show us different aspects of life which help us to grow as Christians.

Anonymous said...

Trying to make more time for reading....currently reading Seasons - A women's calling to ministry...a challenging read
Have also gone back to re-read When God Whispers Your Name....Max Lucado....another challenging read...but inspiring
R

Jim Knaggs said...

Some of these are new to me. I'll have to check them out.