Tuesday 6 November 2007

Surprises

Can you imagine your life without surprises? I don't think I want to.

A common expression among leaders to subordinates is, "I don't like surprises." I've learned that I like surprises. In the work of God, things can be predictable, so surprises speak to a spark of creative imagination and hope beyond what we already know.

Surprise your corps officer by leading someone to Christ. Give your boss a thrill by presenting something constructive out of the clear blue. Shock your neighbour by helping them do something they haven't asked you to do. Call a friend you haven't spoken to in a long while.

Surprises can contain the joy of Jesus, especially when you're trusting Him.

Ephesians 3:7 (MSG)
7 This is my life work: helping people understand and respond to this Message. It came as a sheer gift to me, a real surprise, God handling all the details.

4 comments:

james said...

So the General has cancer. That is a surprise. Does that make this post prophetic?

General, if you read this, I'm praying for you...

Jim Knaggs said...

Probably not.

We do need to pray for him.

Anonymous said...

I love surprise's I love the random things of life. The unexpected. That's what makes life interesting. If life was predictable I wouldn't need God.
gotgumonmyshoe

FORMER SALVATION ARMY OFFICERS FELLOWSHIP said...

Ours prayers go out to the General and the Commissoner. We pray for a complete recovery in order that you both continue to lead us forward from strength to strength...

Sven