Tuesday 6 January 2009

Let the Sunshine In

So let the sunshine in...face it with a grin...
Smilers never lose...frowners never win...
So let the sunshine in...face it with a grin...
Open up your heart and let the Sonshine in...

We sang this in Sunday School when we were children. I don't know who wrote it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arthur Arnott had something to do with it.

It was a beautiful sun shinning day in Melbourne today, just as Summer should be.

The sunshine in the chorus is about the presence of the Son of God in your life and in mine. I'm not in full agreement about the winning and losing bits, except when it comes to a life well lived and and eternity ahead, those with God's love within are the victors. Hallelujah!

Revelation 3:5 (MSG)
5 "Conquerors will march in the victory parade, their names indelible in the Book of Life. I'll lead them up and present them by name to my Father and his Angels.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Stuart Hamblen - from the radio show "The Cowboy Church of the Air" - it was published in 1954.
Although sung by people all over the world, the most famous rendition was Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm from The Flintstones.

He is also the author of "It is no secret".

Jim Knaggs said...

Thanks, r. Good research and interesting tidbit. Now did you ever sing it in Sunday School?

Unknown said...

Yes in Sunday School and everywhere else.
In those early days it was the number 1 song of Harold Hill Sunday School.
I even remember singing it as a solo at a Sunday School anniversary at Romford corps when I was about 6.
In the children's home - we 'homeys'sang it most nights as part of our bedtime prayers along with the beautiful chorus "A little star peeped oér the hills, the woods were quiet, the birds were still, the children clasped their hands in prayer, and the love of God is everywhere."

And yes! I still sing it today!

I have 3 lifetime songs that I learned in those early days and still sing today [frequently] the 2 mentioned and "I'd rather have Jesus" sung by George Beverly Shea, of course!

Jim Knaggs said...

Absolutely fantastic. Thanks.

jsi said...

We sang this in Sunday School, too, but I still remember it when Pebbles and Bam Bam sang it too!