Thursday 20 December 2007

Forgiveness

What is it that makes forgiveness so hard? Do you suppose it's our ego? Forgiveness can be even more complicated when a loved one has been offended and victimised. In these cases, it's less of our ego and more of our pain for another.

Now let me ask what good does being unforgiving do? Do we derive some satisfaction that we hold our position and don't give in to the offender?

What about forgiving ourselves? We can be pretty hard on ourselves by this approach.

Thank the Lord that He has forgiven us for the asking and gave His Son to death to do so. God extends His forgiveness to us before we even show an interest in Him and His provision.

Matthew 6:12 (GW)
12 Forgive us as we forgive others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I heard someone make this comment in a sermon; "He who angers you, controls you. Forgive that person, and if you can't forgive right away, ask the Lord to forgive that person on your behalf and continue to help you with forgiveness."

I can tell you that I had to do this, when I did the weight of the world fell away, and God did some amazing things in my life and the person whom I carried anger against.

What a Great & Loving God we have!

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Jim Knaggs said...

Thanks, Tim. This is a good word.